The A.V. Club asked me to do a short comic about why I make comics, so Wednesday I will be flinging this over the trenches like a live grenade before taking cover from the hordes of angry bros it will inevitably piss off.
Pg 1 done!
Imagine a world where men have no story.
Making comics about being female, getting angry about it.
@macbarnett and @burstofbeaden talk about “Extra Yarn” and I’m like “this is about me” #icon8pdx
Bathroom break with @tuesdaybassen and @joanaavillez
Day three of #icon8pdx
Honing our editorial concepts with Alexandra Zsigmond #icon8pdx
So proud also hi again Instagram I’m back
* After taking my sad potted basil plant out of its pot and planting it in the center of our raised bed it has fully recovered, and we have tons of sweet basil now. We also have mint everywhere, which no one deliberately planted. Besides mint juleps and mojitos, what are people’s fave mint recipes?
* I think it’s kind of liberating to take a class in an art form I have zero experience or skill in. I greatly admire people who can create ceramics with skill and artistry, and I feel so lucky to get to take a class with Bianka Groves at the Baltimore Clayworks before she moves to Minneapolis. I love her work and managed to buy two of her gorgeous porcelain tumblers before they sold out.
* Yesterday we celebrated July 4th at my good friend Deanna’s. I’m leaving for a conference soon so I’m trying to cook up as many perishables as possible. We grilled herbed tomatoes and served them with slices of mozarella, and despite being pretty inebriated I managed to make some tasty lemon bars.
* Summer reading list:
* The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
* Horace by George Sand
* The Telling by Ursula K. LeGuin
* House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
* In a few days I will be traveling to Portland Oregon to attend ICON8. I may also be attending a funeral in the near future. Lacking the time to sew some clothes for both occasions, I bit the bullet and bought something suitable. The pencil skirt still can’t really compare to the fit of vintage garments, unfortunately, and i’ll probably replace it with something handmade as soon as time permits.
* Here are some ceramics I want and can’t afford by Helen Levi.
Are you going to ICON8? Maybe I will see you there?
Gouache and watercolor.
When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.
~ Ser Loras Tyrell, after the death of Lord Renly Baratheon.